A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives
A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives

A Set of 12 Early Eighteenth Century Pistol Grip Table Knives

Regular price £2,250.00

 

 

A very rare set of 12 early eighteenth century table knives. Pistol grip silver hafts with Queen Anne period scimitar shaped blades, the hafts are engraved with a crest of a hand holding a quill.

 

Hallmarked with the Lion Passant only, some with a partial makers mark to the other side. The blades are London 1706, they are marked with the dagger above a crown above the initials HOW, for Ephraim How, who was the master of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers in 1706.

The knives are in very fine condition with no repairs of splits. They are made of an exceptional gauge of silver and have a wonderful patina with very good definition to the pattern.

The handles were added to the blades post 1720 as they are marked with the lion passant. This was not used between 1696 - 1720 as the silver used in London during this time was only Britannia grade, and before 1720 silver knife hafts were of the canon style.

These are a wonderful set of early eighteenth century table knives, with the blades being over 300 years old!

 

Handle length: 9cm or 3.5”

Handle diameter: 2cm or 1”

Overall length: 26.5cm or 10.5”

 

Ephraim How and his son John ran a successful and productive cutlery factory. They standardised their designs, employed a large workforce and harnessed local water power. They sold from their shop on Saffron Hill near Clerkenwell in London. Ephraim How became master of the Worshipful Company of Cutlers in 1706.